javascript hit counter

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Finally some signs of weather in Azeroth

After Blizzard released the 1.10 patch for World of Warcraft I was looking forward, amongst other things, to the introduction of Weather Effects to certain regions of the game world.

I'll grant that this addition doesn't really affect gameplay, but I thought it was another factor that would add to the level of immersion the game offered. I imagined wandering through Elwynn Forest as the rain lashed down unable to see through the fog that I had wandered into a Defias camp until they were on top of me.

Of course at level 60 I wouldnt have been in trouble :) But I still liked the idea.

Imagine my dismay then when I spent the following weeks trying to track down this weather that had been added! I went to every zone that had weather 'switched on', different times of the day, different days. Nothing.

Until, finally, today on a ride back to Stormwind through Elwynn Forest I was engulfed in rain!

My only qualm, having finally seen these effects in acton, was that once I passed into Stormwind it was all of a sudden a gloriously sunny day again. I can appreciate Elwynn Forest and Stormwind must be different map, but personally I think it would make sense that the weather in Elwynn and Stormwind would be the same.

What are your thoughts on WoWs Weather? Was I just hopelessly unlucky not to come across any for so long?

On a wider topic, what developments do you think would bring more immersion to MOGs?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you, man. There needs to be a higher frequency for weather. What Blizzard does with it needs to be realistic also.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home