javascript hit counter

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

MMO Combat and God of War 2

I spend a lot of time ranting about how MMOs could improve, at least it feels that way. Its no that I don't enjoy MMOs, hell I wouldn't spend so much time and money on them if I didn't!, I just think its worthwhile making a note when an idea strikes you, or another game inspires you.

In this case the game that has inspired me is God of War 2. Not an MMO, but of a fantasyish genre. Head to YouTube and do a search, watch the official trailer, looks cool no?

The aspect of God of War 2 that caught my eye was the combat. In particular the way your character attacks opponents larger than he. I still can't get over how cool this is. Basically the character crawls all over the larger opponent in order to inflict his attacks.

I play a rogue in WoW, and perhaps that's why this trailer caught my sttention so much, but I could just imagine an MMO where when you face off against lets say an ogre (as an Elf), you would have a combat system which would mean in order to inflict your deadlier moves (lets take backstab as an example) you would need to follow a sequence of keys, rather than just get enough combo points or something. But that bit is less important (to me at least) than seeing your character crawl up onto the ogres back and bring his blade down with deadly precision.

I'm not sure how such a combat system would apply to all your normal MMO classes, that's something I will leave to the developers :) - But for me a visually appealing and potentially more skillfull form of combat such as this would be a welcome change from the existing point-and-click combat in MMOs.

Thoughts?

2 Comments:

Blogger Bildo said...

Actually, I think something somewhat similar, contextual combat (at least in animations) is coming with Gods and Heroes. I've seen some video, and it's truly stunning how "un-MMORPG" it looks in terms of fluidity and cool-factor.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home